Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Attack in Kabul Afghanistan, What's The Motivation?

Read the CNN article that explains the gist of this story if you haven't heard about it.

I just don't get it. I get that the Taliban felt like this was the perfect target for their attack. This hotel has lots of international guests staying there all the time. Also, it was where a news conference was scheduled to discuss the transition to Afghanistan's security forces taking over control of their own country. I get that.

But what I don't get is the timing and why. Why didn't they wait until the news conference was actually going on? I guess I just wish they had because I know security would have been more plentiful and their chances of success greatly reduced. Sigh,

But also, there are many other things going on around Afghanistan dealing with this transfer of security forces. Why now? Why this hotel?

I can't help but feel very sad for the loss of life. Both the innocents in the hotel and and the misguided Taliban members who think this barbaric response to things they don't like is the answer.

It's very sad. And it's very frustrating. And what exactly is the change they would like to see happen in the way things are run that would make them stop suicide bombing every damn thing?

Seriously, what do they want? I get the vague demands for the stopping of oppression. But I've yet to suss out what specifically could be changed that would actually be enough for them to lay down their arms.

Does anyone believe there's anything Obama or Karzai could do to make them not want to blow up themselves and dozens of others?

And if there is, after all the fighting is done, how will we peacefully co-exist? I just don't know, I just don't know.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...